Working with designers and walking in New York Fashion Week (NYFW) can be an exciting and rewarding experience for models. Here are some tips to help you get started:
Working with Designers:
- Build a Strong Portfolio: Create a professional portfolio showcasing your modeling work. Include a variety of high-quality photos that highlight your versatility, runway skills, and ability to showcase different styles. Update your portfolio regularly to reflect your latest work.
- Research and Identify Designers: Research fashion designers whose aesthetics align with your style and brand. Follow their work, attend their shows, and engage with them on social media. This will help you understand their vision and make targeted efforts to collaborate with them.
- Network within the Fashion Industry: Attend industry events, fashion weeks, and fashion-related gatherings to connect with designers, stylists, photographers, and other industry professionals. Building relationships with key people can open doors to collaboration opportunities.
- Reach Out with a Professional Approach: Once you’ve identified designers you want to work with, reach out to them professionally. Send a concise email or DM expressing your interest in collaborating. Mention specific reasons why you admire their work and how you believe your skills can contribute to their vision.
- Attend Casting Calls: Keep an eye out for casting calls by designers or agencies. Attend these opportunities to showcase your runway skills, professionalism, and versatility. Be punctual, well-prepared, and confident during auditions.
- Collaborate on Test Shoots: Offer to collaborate with emerging designers on test shoots. This allows you to build a relationship and demonstrate your ability to bring their designs to life through your modeling skills. These collaborations can lead to future opportunities.
Walking in New York Fashion Week (NYFW):
- Gain Experience: Build a strong foundation of runway experience by working with local designers, participating in local fashion events, and walking in regional fashion weeks. This experience will help you refine your walk and gain confidence on the runway.
- Get Signed with a Reputable Agency: Consider getting signed with a reputable modeling agency that has connections with NYFW. Agencies often have direct access to designers and can help secure opportunities for their models during fashion week. (Disclaimer this is not required I got into NYFW 4x without being signed)
- Attend Model Castings: Keep an eye on NYFW casting calls and attend them whenever possible. Stay updated with reputable casting websites, industry publications, and social media platforms to find out about upcoming casting opportunities.
- Show Professionalism and Versatility: During castings, present yourself professionally and demonstrate your versatility as a model. Be confident, maintain good posture, and show the designers that you can bring their vision to life on the runway.
- Be Persistent and Patient: Securing a spot in NYFW can be competitive. Be persistent and keep working on building your skills, portfolio, and industry connections. Remember that success in the fashion industry often takes time, so be patient and continue honing your craft.
- Work with Stylists and Agencies: Collaborate with stylists, makeup artists, and agencies that have existing relationships with designers participating in NYFW. These professionals can vouch for you and recommend you to designers they work with.
Remember, building a successful modeling career takes time, dedication, and perseverance. Keep refining your skills, expanding your network, and seizing opportunities to increase your chances of working with designers and walking in NYFW. Stay true to your unique style and maintain a positive attitude throughout your journey.
The most helpful thing I can find is going to the venues or event pages and looking at the designers they tag! I will follow the designer and message them asking if they are doing NYFW and if they’re still casting for models and I’ll do that for all of the designers they have tagged and all the designers that have tagged them. This has gotten me the most opportunities and after i walked for my first designer in NYFW a lot of others wanted to work for me and have me walk for them.